12.1.11
Holden's Bookshelf: I Haven't Even Read It But I Know It Will Be Good
Today on Holden's Bookshelf, I'd actually like to do a plug instead. A sort of interactive one, because while I don't yet have the book I'll be plugging, I do fully intend to review it here upon its completion, because not doing so after bringing it up here would be kind of silly.
So, as some of you who know me are aware, I'm quite a fan of the webcomic Girl Genius. It earned the distinction of being my first Sunday Comics entry (and now, sometime soon, I'd like to revisit it using the subtle tweaks I've done to the format and having a little "how's it doing now?" re-review), and it had a big part in kick-starting my interest in Steampunk couture and aesthetic.
And now, it seems, while staying a comic, it is also making the transition to text novels. Yes, there is now a Girl Genius book, the first of many it seems. Needless to say, I was shocked, intrigued, and very, very happy. Oh ho ho, but that's not all. (That can't be all.) Phil and Kaja, the minds behind Girl Genius, are doing book signings all this week, all over Seattle! So please, give them some love.
- Today, Kaja's birthday, is the first signing. It will be taking place at Ravenna Third Place Books.
- Tomorrow, the thirteenth, there's one at The Night Kitchen, a specifically late-night eating venue down by historic Pike Place Market.
- The fourteenth sees a signing at the UW's own University Bookstore, starting at 7 PM. This is the signing I will be attending! If you read this blog and are in the area, stop by and help support one of my favourite author/artist pairs. I'll likely be decked out in something steampunky, in celebration of the occasion.
- Finally, from 3-4 PM on Saturday the fifteenth, they'll be doing a signing at RustyCon, a science fiction convention. Registration for RustyCon has closed, but there are still tickets available at the door.
Please, if you have the spare cash and want to support good, fun sci-fi, pick a venue and go! I have great anticipation for this foray into the world of pure text for this series.
...I friggin' love Seattle.
[Holden Out.]
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment